Cleveland Metroparks Rules and Regulations Regarding Hidden Object Activities (geocaching, letterboxing, munzies, etc.)
Privately (not owned or managed by Cleveland Metroparks) placed hidden objects are permitted in Cleveland Metroparks under the following conditions:
- Hidden objects must be on and reached via designated Cleveland Metroparks trails.
- Participating in hidden object activities off-trail is prohibited.
- Hidden objects are prohibited at the Zoo, golf courses, places with restricted access and ecologically sensitive areas such as wetlands, ponds and wildflower areas (see #1 and #2 above).
- Tree or rock climbing to reach a hidden object is prohibited.
- The hidden object must be clearly labeled with the following information clearly printed on it: type of activity, owners name and contact information, date of placement and GC# if appropriate.
- A hidden object size must be in a container with a minimum size of 8 ounces.
- Hidden objects may not be ammo cans, PVC pipes, or have the appearance of a dangerous object.
- Contents of hidden objects should be family-friendly. Tobacco, alcohol, drugs, firearms, dangerous items and adult items are prohibited.
- Any hidden object that is not in compliance with these conditions or that is determined to be a nuisance will be removed and discarded without notice.
Some things to keep in mind:
- Please use good eco-manners when seeking a cache. Examples: Do not step on wildflowers or leave litter. Bags are often available for litter pick up on your way out: “Cache in, trash out”.
- You may take something out of the cache when you find it
- For more information about geocaching, please visit: