Cleveland Metroparks Drone Regulation
Cleveland Metroparks regulates drone use in its parks for the safety and enjoyment of all its guests. Persons may launch, land or operate, or cause to be launched, landed or operated, a drone weighing less than 4.4lbs/2.0kg in airspace within the Park District ONLY IN THE FOLLOWING DESIGNATED AREAS and must (1) possess a current authorizing certificate issued by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), (2) meet a 333 exemption, or (3) is flying the drone strictly for hobby or recreational use.
Designated areas within the Park District are open fields, in the following locations except during those dates and times of scheduled events:
- The Polo Fields located in South Chagrin;
- The Top O’ Ledges in the Hinckley Reservation;
- Main Street Diamond located in Mill Stream Run Reservation;
- The fairways of all Cleveland Metroparks golf courses, except Sleepy Hollow or Manakiki, from November 1st through March 15th when the golf course is not open for golf:
- (1) The operator of the UAS shall not be permitted on the greens or tees at any time.
- (2) The operator shall not interfere with any non-golf activity that may be occurring on the golf course (e.g., snowshoeing, cross country skiing, etc.)
Even in designated areas, all operators, whether recreational and commercial, must learn and comply with all FAA regulations. It is not Cleveland Metroparks’ responsibility to inform, train or educate the public about the FAA regulations.
A separate permit must be obtained to conduct a special group event or activity in Cleveland Metroparks including filming requests. Special event/activity requests are evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Requirements will vary depending on size and scope of the event, date, time, location, etc. A permit fee and insurance may be required. The permit fee will vary depending on the event/activity and is nonrefundable.
For additional information or assistance on filming requests, please contact the Manager of Special Events & Experiences at Cleveland Metroparks by mail (3900 Wildlife Way, Cleveland OH 44109, fax (216-661-3312), or phone (216-635-3304) from 8:30am to 4:30pm, Monday – Friday.