Jetting out from a causeway into Lake Erie, sits the historic Coast Guard Station. In the late 1890s, landfill was used to create an area off Whiskey Island specifically to house the U.S. Life Saving Service, the predecessor of the U.S. Coast Guard.
When the U.S. Coast Guard was established in 1915, they took over the buildings that were located here until a new structure was built and opened in 1940.
The historic Coast Guard Station was designed in the art moderne style – also known as streamline moderne -- which emphasized a horizontal, streamlined form, and plenty of curves. It was basically designed to resemble a cargo ship, inside and out.