Directions: Program meets behind Hinckley Lake Boathouse & Store.
Ages: 8 & over (Minors between the ages of 8-17 MUST have a registered and participating adult)
Fee: $15 per person (All guests MUST register)
Includes: boat & equipment
Terrain/Distance: Less than 2 miles in a flatwater environment.
Join us for an evening of paddling and starlight. Our kayaks and canoes will light up the night as we learn to paddle. As the weather turns chillier we will take one final opportunity to paddle with some costume fun mixed in. The entire program will be spent outside. All guests should come dressed to paddle. Leave anything not going on the water with you in your vehicle. You will be able to place a towel and extra set of clothes in a secure location. Dry bags or Ziplock bags work well for items you choose to bring on the water with you. Dress in non-cotton layers such as synthetic materials, fleece, wool, etc. Reference the 3Ws of layering
for more information about how to dress. Classes will begin promptly, so plan to arrive early. Please bring a completed waiver
and review the participant equipment list.
By registering, you acknowledge that you have read and understand the cancellation policy
General Essential Eligibility Requirements that all participants must meet. A participant….
- Program fees and deposits are not refundable or transferable unless Cleveland Metroparks finds it necessary to cancel a program. Participants assume risk of all changes in personal health and affairs.
- If Cleveland Metroparks cancels a program, the cancellation will be posted on the registration page for that program. For programs other than races, participants will also be notified by e-mail and/or phone.
- …must meet minimum age and pre-trip meeting requirements for each individual program.
- …must meet program fee requirements for each individual program.
- …must be able to remain adequately hydrated, fed, and properly dressed in order to avoid environmental injuries such as hypothermia, heat-related illnesses, sunburn, and frostbite.
- …must refrain from use of alcohol and tobacco before or during outdoor recreation activities and any illegal drugs throughout the duration of a program.
- …must be able, either alone or with the aid of a personal care attendant, or through arrangements outlined on the Request for Administration of Medication Form or an Individual Medication Plan to manage, administer and protect any prescription medications currently prescribed to him or her. All medications, including over-the-counter medications shall be listed as required on the Medical Information portion of the registration materials.
- …must be able, either alone, with the aid of an augmentative communication device, or a personal care attendant to follow directions and communicate needs.
- …must not exceed manufacturers’ maximum recommended weight limit for equipment being used.
- …must be able to manage personal mobility either alone, with a reasonable amount of assistance, with the aid of a personal care attendant, or with adaptive equipment.
- …must be able, in the event of an unexpected capsize, to breathe independently and maintain a seal with their mouth (i.e. not require medical devices to sustain breathing), and independently demonstrate the ability to self-right him or herself from face down to face up position while wearing the appropriate PFD.
- …must be able to independently hold their head and neck upright (without restraints), in order to maintain proper body positioning, avoid an unexpected capsize, and freely exit watercraft.
- …must be able to reenter the watercraft in deep water independently or with a reasonable amount of assistance.
- …must be able to independently wear and maintain wearing all safety equipment correctly including but not limited to a United States Coast Guard approved lifejacket.
- …must be able to, for extended trips only, travel in a physically demanding, remote backcountry environment for the uninterrupted period of the trip length, which can range from one to ten days with varying temperatures and environmental conditions including but not limited to, rain snow, hail, sun, and wind. The remoteness is such that cell signal may be unavailable, and it may require at minimum an hour, but perhaps in excess of 2 days travel to reach the nearest road and advanced medical care; participant assumes all costs associated with rescue.
All boating programs are funded in part through a grant from the Ohio Department of Natural Resources, Division of Parks & Watercraft.