What We're Doing
Through our Asian Turtle Program (ATP) we are working to safeguard priority globally threatened tortoise and freshwater turtle species in Indochina.
The ATP works in collaboration with Indo-Myanmar Conservation, Education for Nature - Vietnam (ENV), the Turtle Conservation Center, and other partners to implement strategic interventions that directly contribute to the conservation of Asian turtles - working to ensure that no further turtle species become extinct in the region.
Protecting Turtles and Addressing Turtle Trade
Building Conservation Capacity
- Seizures, confiscations and voluntary surrenders of protected tortoises and fresh water turtles have significantly increased as a result of ATPs collaborative efforts and law enforcement training in the region . The ATP now receives frequent reports from local people regarding illegally obtained and held animals and animals offered for sale, helping to facilitate threatened species being recovered and moved to turtle conservation centers or released.
Conducting Species-focused Research and Conservation Initiatives
- Public education programs, awareness campaigns and community activities focus on the value and importance of protecting Vietnam’s turtles. University student workshops and internships train the next generation of young turtle scientists and professionals in Vietnam.Community education and awareness events and activities in 4 provinces have engaged thousands of community members and over 805 village members and 4,910 school students at key sites, and hundreds of young men have participated in community football matches focused around turtle awareness.
- Key habitat sites and protected areas for critically endangered species are being identified, studied and protected. A community-based Species Habitat Conservation Area (SHCA) for the critically endangered Vietnamese pond turtle, the first of its kind in Vietnam, is currently under development.
Make a Difference
- You can make a difference for Asian turtles and help us Stop Wildlife Trafficking by being a responsible consumer. Never buy wildlife or products made from protected wildlife or their parts - or support vendors who sell them. Encourage others to do the same. Learn more at #BuyInformed.
- Learn more about how you can take action and make a difference for Asian turtles and other wildlife.