- Love to learn about animals?
- Like talking to people?
- Want to become active in wildlife conservation?
- Have an interest in animals and the environment?
- Have the desire and ability to teach others?
- Display good working habits?
- Want to have a GREAT time this summer?
What does Zoo Crew Do?
Zoo Crew teens (ages 13-17) assist in the Education Division by actively participating in various conservation projects and interpreting. What is interpreting? The National Association for Interpretation (NAI) defines it as "a mission-based communication process that forges emotional and intellectual connections between the interest of the audience and the meanings inherent in the resource."
The Zoo Crew teen program focuses on conservation and encourages teens to learn responsibility, develop job and career skills and grow in their personal conservation ethic.
- be at least 13 years old by January 1 and not older than 17 by June 1 of the year they will be participating.
- commit to attend once/week for the entire summer (June - August) with only two (2) excused absences. After completing one summer (with a minimum of 40 hours), you may be invited to join the year-round program (September - May). These teens meet one Saturday a month.
- have an exceptional interest in animals and the environment.
- have the desire and ability to work with people of all ages.
- attend an orientation session with parent or guardian.
- attend training sessions.
- work at least one six (6) hour shift per week.
- always wear his/her uniform while on duty - Zoo Crew shirt & your own khaki shorts or pants.
- All participants are required to have a current TB test (within the last year) and must complete a waiver and release of claims form. (one step TB skin test)
How To Apply:
To qualify for the application process, an applicant must return a completed application AND two (2) reference forms by the deadline of 4 pm on Friday, March 2, 2018. Please note, by completing the application process there is no guarantee of acceptance into the Zoo Crew program. Partial, incomplete, or late applications and/or reference forms will not be considered.
You can also apply by clicking the green "Register" button at the top of this page. You will however still need to print out and return the two(2) reference forms by the same Friday, March 2 deadline.
The Zoo Crew program consists of 115 teens each summer. Participants from last summer who met their commitments and served us well are invited to return. We subtract the number of returning teens from 115 to determine the number of available slots for new teens. Only complete applications (application and two reference forms) that are returned by the deadline will be reviewed. The names of all new qualified applicants will be put into a lottery and a random drawing will be held. The number of names pulled from the lottery equals the number of available slots plus 10 additional names. These applicants will participate in an interview. The final teens will be selected based on application, reference forms, interview, and skill level.
- The Zoo Crew Teen program is a commitment not only for your teen, but also for parents and family. Please remember that Zoo Crew teens are allowed only two (2) scheduled absences during the summer program and two additional absences during the year-round program.
- Parents/Guardians must attend the mandatory Orientation Session. It will give you insight as to what your teen will accomplish, and what will be expected of your teen.