Join us April 20th for 2019’s Educator Open House -- a FREE event for area educators and their families at the Zoo (up to 3 guests per registered educator) where we share educational resources and ideas and say THANK YOU for all you do for our students and communities! We are committed to continue offering you ways to educate and motivate the students in your classroom. We are also committed to conservation and advocacy as the Zoo continues to grow as a leader in global conservation efforts. This year, Educator Open House will highlight ways that we blend these important passions to enable opportunities for education through conservation action. Come and explore the ways that you can bring conservation action into your classroom -- directly helping wildlife and wild places while also addressing academic content standards and fostering unique classroom learning experiences. This year’s event will feature all of your old favorite resources, along with new opportunities and innovative ideas:
- Zoo Educational Programs Showcase will feature information on all of our current program offerings for schools, groups and families; as well as information on booking a school visit and utilizing the Online Resource Library. Staff will be on hand to answer questions and help you decide which programs and resources are best for your students.
- Conservation in the Classroom Mini Workshop: Education through Action offers ideas, examples, and lesson plans for bringing conservation advocacy into your classroom. Learn how to capture student curiosity and shape it into meaningful conservation education and action. Mini Workshops are for teachers only and are 30 minutes in length 11:30am-12:00pm and 1:30-2:00pm. Pre-registration for this mini-workshop is required.
- Free thank you gifts and chances to win prizes! Every preregistered educator will receive a thank you gift and one raffle ticket for a chance to win additional prizes. Prize drawings for the raffle will take place at 11:30, 1:30, and 3:30. Additional raffle tickets will be available for those educators who bring in old handheld electronic devices to be recycled. Exchange your old cell phones, iPads, iPods, tablets, headphones, and chargers for additional raffle tickets. One additional ticket per donated electronic for recycling. Recycling hand held electronics helps protect wild gorilla habitat.
When registering for Educator Open House please be sure to indicate the following:
- The grade level you teach
- If you are interested in attending the mini-workshop
The Zoo will also be hosting the annual Party for the Planet on this same day. Guests attending Educator Open House can also enjoy the Party for the Planet festivities as a part of this day. Music, DJs, live demonstrations, hands-on activities and booths throughout the Zoo promote conservation and celebration. Come for Educator Open House and stay to Party for the Planet!