Ages: 14 years & over with participating adult
Includes: boat & equipment
This entry level course combines classroom and on the water practice to introduce you to equipment, basic paddling strokes and more. Be prepared to get wet as you will be practicing a wet exit as part of the class. Please bring a completed waiver
and review the participant equipment list.
Registration begins December 15. $5 late fee applies after January 5.
By registering, you acknowledge that you have read and understand the cancellation policy
- Program fees and deposits are not refundable or transferable unless Cleveland Metroparks finds it necessary to cancel a program. Participants assume risk of all changes in personal health and affairs.
If Cleveland Metroparks cancels a program, the cancellation will be posted on the registration page for that program. For programs other than races, participants will also be notified by e-mail and/or phone.
General Essential Eligibility Criteria that all participants must meet. A participant….
- …must meet minimum age and pre-trip meeting requirements for each individual program.
- …must meet program fee requirements for each individual program.
- …must be able to remain adequately hydrated, fed, and properly dressed in order to avoid environmental injuries such as hypothermia, heat-related illnesses, sunburn, and frostbite.
- …must refrain from use of alcohol and tobacco before or during outdoor recreation activities and any illegal drugs throughout the duration of a program.
- …must be able, either alone or with the aid of a personal care attendant, to manage, administer and protect any prescription medications currently prescribed to him or her. All medications, including over-the-counter medications shall be declared in medical history section of the registration form.
- …must be able, either alone, with the aid of an augmentative communication device, or a personal care attendant to follow directions and communicate needs.
- …must not exceed manufacturers’ maximum recommended weight limit for equipment being used.
- …must be able to manage personal mobility either alone, with a reasonable amount of assistance, with the aid of a personal care attendant, or with adaptive equipment.
- …must be able to independently wear and maintain wearing all safety equipment correctly.
- …must be able, in the event of an unexpected capsize, to breathe independently and maintain a seal with their mouth (i.e. not require medical devices to sustain breathing), and independently demonstrate the ability to self-right him or herself from face down to face up position while wearing the appropriate PFD.
- …must be able to independently hold their head and neck upright (without restraints), in order to maintain proper body positioning, avoid an unexpected capsize, and freely exit watercraft.
- …must be able to reenter the watercraft in deep water independently or with a reasonable amount of assistance.
- …must be able to independently wear and maintain wearing all safety equipment correctly including but not limited to PFD (Personal Flotation Device).
- …must be able to, for extended trips only, travel in a physically demanding, remote backcountry environment for the uninterrupted period of the trip length, which can range from one to ten days with varying temperatures and environmental conditions including but not limited to, rain snow, hail, sun, and wind. The remoteness is such that cell signal may be unavailable, and it may require at minimum an hour, but perhaps in excess of 2 days travel to reach the nearest road and advanced medical care; participant assumes all costs associated with rescue.
All boating programs are funded in part through a grant from the Ohio Department of Natural Resources, Division of Parks & Watercraft.
Cleveland Metroparks staff can adapt many programs to be accessible to anyone who would
like to participate assuming they meet the essential eligibility criteria. Reasonable
accommodation can also be made. Please make a request at the time of registration but
no later than 72 business hours prior to the program. Contact us at
or at these telephone numbers.