Weather dependent: The race will happen on one of two courses regardless of trail conditions. An alternate double-track trail will be used if the singletrack is too wet/unfrozen. The Fat Bike Race and Celebration will happen on February 23rd
unless there is an active thunderstorm or miserable, dripping wet, muddy conditions. Helmets required.
2/20 - the race will happen on a 2.25 mile lap course utilizing dirt, paved, and gravel cart paths. Online registration is closed but race day registration is available.
Registration opens December 15 at 8:30 a.m. Registration after 12:00 PM on February 20th does not guarantee lunch.
Race Distance and Categories
- Individual – 45 minute (male and female categories)
- Individual – 75 minute (male and female categories)
- 2-Person Team Relay – 75 Minute (Male/Male, Female/Male, Female/Female)
You can register as an individual or as a two-person relay team. Individuals will race as many laps as they can in the set amount of time. As long as you start your last lap prior to the cut-off time, the lap counts. Relay teams will race as many laps as they can with only one rider racing at a time, allowing your relay partner time to catch their breath or warm up. Individuals and relay teams with the most laps completed in the fastest times will be awarded the winner.
The cost is the same regardless of race duration chosen.
Individuals: $25 (includes lunch)
2 Person Relay: $40 (includes lunch for both)
After February 4: Individuals: $30; 2-person Relay: $45
As conditions are currently unknown, the race will be on one of two courses, but each course is about 2 miles.
- If snow conditions – the course will run on groomed double track around the golf course and groomed single track.
- If less than snow conditions – the course will run on double track and cart paths around the golf course, a unique, fast and fun riding opportunity.
Race route, with map, will be announced the week of the race as conditions and weather allow. Please, no pre-riding the course once it is announced until race day.
8:15 Registration and check-in at Shawnee Hills Golf Course Clubhouse
8:45 75 Minute Registration/Check-in closes
9:00 75 Minute races start
10:00 45 Minute Registration/Check-in closes
10:30 45 Minute race start
11:15 Lunch, drink sales, and fat bike try-its
2:00 Food and drink sales closes, test rides over, pack up and see you next year!
- Only bikes with both tires over 3.7” will be allowed.
- Relay racers must race a minimum of one lap each.
- Riders must give overtaking riders the opportunity to pass.
- Helmets must be worn when riding.
- Once you start a lap, you must finish it in order for it to count.
- All routes are self-supported. One water station will be available.
- All pre-registered riders will receive a lunch.
- Waivers will need to be filled out and signed on race day.
- Racers will be permitted to pre-ride the course on race day from 7:45 a.m. – 8:45 a.m.
- Each lap loops near the clubhouse, so you can warm up if you are part of relay team.
- No spectators or non-racers on the course until all racers are off course.
Awards and Results
- Bike rentals are available for the race portion of the event through various shops who will be onsite during the event. Please contact them directly for specific bike models and to make arrangements and payment. If you rent a bike for the race please return it to the shops booth at the race immediately after you are done racing so other interested attendees can check it out for the Try-it portion of the event.
- Broadway Cyclery – 440-735-2453
- Century Cycles – 330-657-2209
- Eddy’s Bike Shop – 330-688-5521
-Top three 45 minute male
-Top three 45 minute female
-Top three 75 minute male
-Top three 75 minute female
-Top three team, male/male
-Top three team, male/female
-Top three team, female/female
By registering, you acknowledge that you have read and understand the cancellation policy
- Program fees and deposits are not refundable or transferable unless Cleveland Metroparks finds it necessary to cancel a program. Participants assume risk of all changes in personal health and affairs.
- If Cleveland Metroparks cancels a program, the cancellation will be posted on the registration page for that program. For programs other than races, participants will also be notified by e-mail and/or phone.
General Essential Eligibility Criteria that all participants must meet for this program. A participant….
- …must meet minimum age and pre-trip meeting requirements for each individual program.
- …must meet program fee requirements for each individual program.
- …must be able to remain adequately hydrated, fed, and properly dressed in order to avoid environmental injuries such as hypothermia, heat-related illnesses, sunburn, and frostbite.
- …must refrain from use of alcohol and tobacco before or during outdoor recreation activities and any illegal drugs throughout the duration of a program.
- …must be able, either alone or with the aid of a personal care attendant, to manage, administer and protect any prescription medications currently prescribed to him or her. All medications, including over-the-counter medications shall be declared in medical history section of the registration form.
- …must be able, either alone, with the aid of an augmentative communication device, or a personal care attendant to follow directions and communicate needs.
- …must not exceed manufacturers’ maximum recommended weight limit for equipment being used.
- …must be able to manage personal mobility either alone, with a reasonable amount of assistance, with the aid of a personal care attendant, or with adaptive equipment.
- …must be able to independently wear and maintain wearing all safety equipment correctly including but not limited to a helmet.
Cleveland Metroparks staff can adapt many programs to be accessible to anyone who would
like to participate assuming they meet the essential eligibility criteria. Reasonable
accommodation can also be made. Please make a request at the time of registration but
no later than 72 business hours prior to the program. Contact us at
or at these telephone numbers.