Participants must attend the mandatory pre-trip meeting
on August 14, 2018 , 6:00 - 9:00 p.m. at at the Coast Guard Station, Wendy Park, 2800 Whiskey Island Drive, Cleveland, OH 44102. Please drive all the way back to the furthest parking lot. See the attached map.
- Participants must be adults
- Participants must complete and bring the event waiver to the pre-trip meeting.
: June 15, 2018 - $245 after July 23.
3 days and 2 nights
August 24, 1:00 p.m. depart - August 26, 7:00 pm. return, departing from Garfield Park Center
Participants will paddle varying distances in an open water setting where wind and waves will be present.
Previous paddling experience preferred. Participants should feel balanced in kayaks and confident with a touring forward stroke as well as effectively turning a kayak.
Spend nights under the stars, cooking over a fire, and exploring the beautiful waters of Lake Erie as you gain the confidence and skills to paddle long days. Looking to expand your paddling experience to on water navigation, maneuvering a kayak, and gear management. This intermediate level paddling trip will give you the instruction needed to take your skills from an inland lake to the shores of Lake Erie. Due to the nature of paddling on large open bodies of water, the itinerary will change to accommodate fluctuating conditions.
This mandatory meeting on August 14 will get you prepared for the upcoming adventure. Not only will specific trip logistics be covered such a food and packing lists, but participants will get to kayak in equipment that will be used on the trip beginning to learn tricks to maneuvering a longer craft. The Pre-Trip Meeting is exclusive for all paid trip participants.
- The following is included with your trip:
- Trip Leaders and guided instruction
- Pre-trip meetings to prepare you for your trip
- A fully planned trip and route
- Camping fees
- Transportation and ferry fees
Participants will be transported in Cleveland Metroparks vehicles to the trip location departing from Garfield Park Center. Participants’ personal vehicles will be parked in a fenced area at Garfield Park Center for the duration of the trip.
Accommodations and Food
The weekend will be spent car camping at South Bass Island State Park Campground. Tents can be provided if needed. Showers are available. Breakfasts and dinners will be provided. Lunches are not provided.
Paddling equipment will be provided for exploration of the Bass Islands. Participants will learn the equipment necessary for tripping on open water.
By registering, you acknowledge that you have read and understand the cancellation policy:
- Program fees and deposits are not refundable or transferable unless Cleveland Metroparks finds it necessary to cancel a program. Participants assume risk of all changes in personal health and affairs.
- If Cleveland Metroparks cancels a program, the cancellation will be posted on the registration page for that program. For programs other than races, participants will also be notified by e-mail and/or phone.
General Essential Eligibility Criteria that all participants must meet. A participant….
- …must meet minimum age and pre-trip meeting requirements for each individual program.
- …must meet program fee requirements for each individual program.
- …must be able to remain adequately hydrated, fed, and properly dressed in order to avoid environmental injuries such as hypothermia, heat-related illnesses, sunburn, and frostbite.
- …must refrain from use of alcohol and tobacco before or during outdoor recreation activities and any illegal drugs throughout the duration of a program.
- …must be able, either alone or with the aid of a personal care attendant, to manage, administer and protect any prescription medications currently prescribed to him or her. All medications, including over-the-counter medications shall be declared in medical history section of the registration form.
- …must be able, either alone, with the aid of an augmentative communication device, or a personal care attendant to follow directions and communicate needs.
- …must not exceed manufacturers’ maximum recommended weight limit for equipment being used.
- …must be able to manage personal mobility either alone, with a reasonable amount of assistance, with the aid of a personal care attendant, or with adaptive equipment.
- …must be able to independently wear and maintain wearing all safety equipment correctly.
- …must be able, in the event of an unexpected capsize, to breathe independently and maintain a seal with their mouth (i.e. not require medical devices to sustain breathing), and independently demonstrate the ability to self-right him or herself from face down to face up position while wearing the appropriate PFD.
- …must be able to independently hold their head and neck upright (without restraints), in order to maintain proper body positioning, avoid an unexpected capsize, and freely exit watercraft.
- …must be able to reenter the watercraft in deep water independently or with a reasonable amount of assistance.
- …must be able to independently wear and maintain wearing all safety equipment correctly including but not limited to PFD (Personal Flotation Device).
- …must be able to, for extended trips only, travel in a physically demanding, remote backcountry environment for the uninterrupted period of the trip length, which can range from one to ten days with varying temperatures and environmental conditions including but not limited to, rain snow, hail, sun, and wind. The remoteness is such that cell signal may be unavailable, and it may require at minimum an hour, but perhaps in excess of 2 days travel to reach the nearest road and advanced medical care; participant assumes all costs associated with rescue.
All boating programs are funded in part through a grant from the Ohio Department of Natural Resources, Division of Parks & Watercraft.
Cleveland Metroparks staff can adapt many programs to be accessible to anyone who would
like to participate assuming they meet the essential eligibility criteria. Reasonable
accommodation can also be made. Please make a request at the time of registration but
no later than 72 business hours prior to the program. Contact us at
or at these telephone numbers.