This entry level course combines classroom and on the water practice to introduce you to equipment, basic paddling strokes and more. Be prepared to get wet as you will be practicing a wet exit as part of the class. If you are just getting into kayaking, we recommend the following progression:
Kayaking 1: Introduction to Kayaking
- On land portion focuses on basic kayak terminology and gear, fitting a lifejacket and holding a paddle. Water portion focuses on basic kayak strokes and wet exits.
- Kayaking 2: Supplemental Skills
- Picks up where you left off in Kayaking 1. Water portion focuses on advanced paddling strokes, deep water re-entry rescue techniques, and more.
- Kayaking Tours
- Enjoy tours on LaDue Reservoir, Upper Cuyahoga River, Rivergate Kayak Tours, or Lake Erie Tours.
- Kayaking Trips/Races/Certifications
- Challenge yourself by travelling outside of Cuyahoga County for a trip, participate in a race, or become a certified instructor.
Registration opens December 15. $5 late fee applies after January 16.
By registering, you acknowledge that you have read and understand the refund policy.
All boating programs are funded in part through a grant from the Ohio Department of Natural Resources, Division of Watercraft.