- All racers are required to wear a properly fitted U.S. Coast Guard approved lifejacket during the kayak portion.
- Helmets required for the cycling portion.
- All racers must wear footwear during the entire race.
- Participants bringing their own kayaks must have current registration.
- Flush toilets and port-a-johns are available at the spillway.
- Snacks will be available after the race.
2016 Race Results
- Individual: 14 years & over. Start at spillway.
- Team: 10 years & over with participating adult. Teams consist of 2 people. Teams must stay together throughout the entire race and finish together. Start at spillway.
- Relay: 14 years & over. A relay is a group of 2 or 3 people, with each person completing a leg of the race. If you have a 2-person relay, and one person is completing the first and last leg, they may have to run/walk from the boathouse where the run finishes to the spillway where the cycling starts. The first person on the relay will start at the spillway. The second person will start at Hinckley Lake Boathouse. The third person will start at the spillway.
- Top overall male and female
- Top 3 teams
- Top 3 relays
- Top 3 males and females in the following age divisions: 14-18, 19-25, 26-35, 36-45, 46-55, 56+
- Racers can pick-up their race packets from Hinckley Lake Boathouse (go to the back side of the building): 1 West Drive, Hinckley from 5 - 7 p.m. on Thursday, September 14 or at registration on September 16.
- Please review and turn in a completed waiver when you pick-up your packet.
Fee includes lunch and t-shirt while supplies last. To guarantee a shirt, register by September 4. Online registration closes at noon on September 13. Day of registration available space permitting.
By August 31, 2017:
- Individual: $55
- Team: $80
- Relay: $100
After August 31, 2017 & Day-of-Registration:
- Individual: $75
- Team: $100
- Relay: $120
* Registering after September 4 does not guarantee a t-shirt.
Reserving a Kayak
A limited supply of kayaks (includes paddle and lifejacket) can be reserved for $10/person by contacting Outdoor Recreation at 216-341-1704.
||Registration, packet pick-up, and kayak drop-off
||Kayak drop-off area closes; roads will close for race
Award ceremony will begin once most racers have finished
Additional details will be added as the date gets closer, so please check back often.
By registering, you acknowledge that you have read and understand the cancellation policy:
- Program fees and deposits are not refundable or transferable unless Cleveland Metroparks finds it necessary to cancel a program. Participants assume risk of all changes in personal health and affairs.
- If Cleveland Metroparks cancels a program, the cancellation will be posted on the registration page for that program. For programs other than races, participants will also be notified by e-mail and/or phone.
With our professionally trained staff and ability to make equipment adaptations, most programs are accessible to anyone who would like to participate assuming they meet the essential eligibility criteria. Please make a request at the time of registration but no later than 5 business days prior to the program. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 216-341-1704.
General Essential Eligibility Requirements that all participants must meet. A participant….
- …must meet minimum age and pre-trip meeting requirements for each individual program.
- …must meet program fee requirements for each individual program.
- …must be able to remain adequately hydrated, fed, and properly dressed in order to avoid environmental injuries such as hypothermia, heat-related illnesses, sunburn, and frostbite.
- …must refrain from use of alcohol and tobacco before or during outdoor recreation activities and any illegal drugs throughout the duration of a program.
- …must be able, either alone or with the aid of a personal care attendant, to manage, administer and protect any prescription medications currently prescribed to him or her. All medications, including over-the-counter medications shall be declared in medical history section of the registration form.
- …must be able, either alone, with the aid of an augmentative communication device, or a personal care attendant to follow directions and communicate needs.
- …must not exceed manufacturers’ maximum recommended weight limit for equipment being used.
- …must be able to manage personal mobility either alone, with a reasonable amount of assistance, with the aid of a personal care attendant, or with adaptive equipment.
- …must be able to independently wear and maintain wearing all safety equipment correctly.
- …must be able, in the event of an unexpected capsize, to breathe independently and maintain a seal with their mouth (i.e. not require medical devices to sustain breathing), and independently demonstrate the ability to self-right him or herself from face down to face up position while wearing the appropriate PFD.
- …must be able to independently hold their head and neck upright (without restraints), in order to maintain proper body positioning, avoid an unexpected capsize, and freely exit watercraft.
- …must be able to reenter the watercraft in deep water independently or with a reasonable amount of assistance.
- …must be able to independently wear and maintain wearing all safety equipment correctly including but not limited to PFD (Personal Flotation Device).
- …must be able to, for extended trips only, travel in a physically demanding, remote backcountry environment for the uninterrupted period of the trip length, which can range from one to ten days with varying temperatures and environmental conditions including but not limited to, rain snow, hail, sun, and wind. The remoteness is such that cell signal may be unavailable, and it may require at minimum an hour, but perhaps in excess of 2 days travel to reach the nearest road and advanced medical care; participant assumes all costs associated with rescue.
Cleveland Metroparks staff can adapt many programs to be accessible to anyone who would
like to participate assuming they meet the essential eligibility criteria. Reasonable
accommodation can also be made. Please make a request at the time of registration but
no later than 72 business hours prior to the program. Contact us at
or at these telephone numbers.