The Floating Water Lab serves as a gateway to a better understanding and appreciation of Cleveland Metroparks, the natural world and the interconnections of a lake ecosystem. The Floating Water Lab, located at Hinckley Lake, offers naturalist-led programs for groups 5th grade to adult.
Scheduling a Program
Floating Water Lab programs are offered May - October by appointment. Reservations are required and must be made at least 2 weeks in advance, although 2 months advance notice is recommended. In the event of thunderstorms or severe weather, the program will be canceled.
Reservations may be made by calling Brecksville Nature Center at 440-526-1012. Please have the following information ready: preferred and alternate dates and times, group name, address, phone number, age level, and number of participants. Prepayment is required. ($30)
Naturalists will meet your group at Hinckley Lake Boathouse, located on West Drive in Hinckley Reservation.
On Your Visit
Your group will have the opportunity to participate in chemical water quality tests including pH, dissolved oxygen, turbidity, temperature and alkalinity on the floating water lab. Students will sample for macro-invertebrates on shore and have the opportunity to look at plankton under a microscope.
Boat size has a capacity of 10-12 people.
- up to 30 participants
- up to a 3.5 hour program, depending on group size
- 30 minutes allowed for lunch
- Students should bring sack lunch
- Fee $30 per group (up to 30 students)
- Programs are designed for students in grades 5 - 12, for home school groups, scout groups, youth groups or science clubs (ages 10 - 18)
- For groups larger than 12, please have your class divided into two study groups when you arrive
- Due to boat size, parent chaperones will remain on shore
Adult or University Groups
- Varied program lengths available 2 - 4 hours
- Fee $30 per group
- Program capacity 10-12 participants
- Programs will be offered periodically and announced in the Emerald Necklace newsletter