The Floating Water Lab serves as a gateway to a better understanding and appreciation of Cleveland Metroparks, the natural world and the interconnections of a lake ecosystem. The Floating Water Lab, located at Hinckley Lake, offers naturalist-led programs for groups 5th grade to adult.
Scheduling a Program
Floating Water Lab programs are offered May - October by appointment. Reservations are required and must be made at least 2 weeks in advance, although 2 months advance notice is recommended. In the event of thunderstorms or severe weather, the program will be canceled.
Reservations may be made by calling Brecksville Nature Center at 440-526-1012. Please have the following information ready: preferred and alternate dates and times, group name, address, phone number, age level, and number of participants. Prepayment is required. ($30)
Hinckley Lake is located off West and East Drives in Hinckley Reservation, south of Bellus Road, Hinckley Township in Medina County.
On Your Visit
Your group will have the opportunity to participate in chemical, physical and biological water quality tests. Students will test for pH, dissolved oxygen, turbidity, temperature, alkalinity and macro invertebrates both on shore and on the Floating water Lab.
While on the Floating Water Lab, groups will use a variety of methods to determine the water quality of Hinckley Lake. Participants will use chemical tests, electronic equipment and a dredge to determine a comprehensive picture of lake water ecology.
When appropriate, lesson plans will be provided to teachers, youth leaders and home school parents which will contain interdisciplinary aquatic lessons combining math, chemistry, vocabulary words, teamwork and data collection. There will be a variety of pre- and post- activities to enhance your trip to the Floating Water Lab.
Boat size has a capacity of 12 -15 people.
- 10-30 participants
- 3 - 3.5 hour program
- 30 minutes allowed for lunch
- Students should bring sack lunch
- Fee $30 per group
- Programs are designed for students in grades 5 - 12, for home school groups, scout groups, youth groups or science clubs (ages 10 - 18)
- For groups larger than 14, please have your class divided into two study groups when you arrive
- Due to boat size, parent chaperones will assist on shore
Adult or University Groups
- Varied program lengths available 2 - 4 hours
- Fee $30 per group
- Program capacity 12 - 15 participants
- Programs will be offered periodically and announced in the Emerald Necklace newsletter.