Public bath houses were once a necessity at area beaches. Edgewater, Euclid Beach and Gordon parks all had large bath houses with hundreds of rooms for swimmers who had ridden in streetcars or walked to the beach, to change their clothes. With the emergence of car culture in the 1930’s, bath houses became less important as beach patrons now rode to the beach already dressed for swimming and stored their belongings in their cars. Nevertheless, a new bathhouse was built at Gordon Park in the 1930’s that did not remain a bath house for long, but went on the serve other purposes through the years.
During the Great Depression, the City of Cleveland received funds and labor from the U.S. government through the Works Project Administration to build a new bath house at Gordon Park. There had been a number of wooden bath houses at the beach through the years that had been victims of fires. Although there was some question if building another bathhouse was necessary, the structure was built and opened in 1937. Unlike its predecessors, this bath house was farther inland so its facilities could be used by swimmers and the players at the nearby baseball diamonds. Since swimmers had to take a raised stairway over the road to get from the bath house to the water it quickly became an underused facility in an inconvenient location.