Cedar Point, located ¼ mile south of Rocky River Nature Center in Rocky River Reservation, has long been a place of beauty. Its 90-foot tall shale cliff with cedar trees clinging to the edge attracted visitors and enchanted local residents. During the 1800s a community of homes, farms and even a grist mill grew up in this area.
Cedar Point (Shale Cliff) located in Rocky River Reservation - pre 1940s
Cedar Point bridge during flood - 1924
James Ruple, one of the area residents, enjoyed a direct view of Cedar Point from his cabin that was located opposite it at the base of Fort Hill. Nearby, the Dvorak family built a home on the East Branch of the Rocky River with a unique swinging foot bridge to gain access to the other side of the river. Of all the original buildings in the Cedar Point area, the only one still visible is the Prechtel house located at Frostville Museum, and the remains of the Lawrence Grist Mill foundation.
Ruple farm at Cedar Point - now in Rocky River Reservation
Cedar Point Road ran east and west through the Cedar Point community. In the 1800s and early 1900s an old “bow style” bridge carried this road over the Rocky River where the East and West Branches meet. Floods on the river sometimes endangered this bridge as can be seen in the June 28, 1924 photo. An intense wind and rain storm associated with the Lorain Tornado dumped so much water on the area that the Rocky River was 18 feet higher than normal! In 1937 the old iron bridge was replaced by the current bridge.
Bow Bridge at Cedar Point - Rocky River Reservation
Cedar Point drew many local people down into the valley for all kinds of activities. Summertime swimming in the river, picnicking on its banks, and baseball in the field across the street was enjoyed here. When looking at old photos, the cool beauty of the forested valley seems to stand in stark contrast to the nearly treeless hilltop of Cedar Point which apparently was cleared for agriculture. By the 1930s, the top of Cedar Point was well on its way to becoming a quiet, peaceful location once again when pine trees were planted on the top.
Cedar Point Bridge - 1937
Cedar Point now has more trees and fewer houses than 100 years ago, but visitors partaking in the natural beauty of the area still abound.