High on the bluffs near CanalWay Center at Ohio and Erie Canal Reservation, ancient people built a set of earthworks which were mapped by Charles Whittlesey around 1840. Whittlesey was a geographer and lawyer living in Cleveland who worked as a topographer for the Geological Survey of Ohio. Although the purpose of the ancient “earth forts” throughout Northeast Ohio remains unknown, Whittlesey’s maps have provided information on their locations for modern archaeologists.
Whittlesey called the hilltop site at this location “Fort #2.” It is not known who built the earthworks or when they were built and they have since been obliterated by advances in transportation and industry. The Ohio and Erie Canal entrance road is called “Whittlesey Way” to recognize the work of Charles Whittlesey and his contributions to our understanding of our local prehistoric cultures.