6 mile race registration click here
2 mile race registration click here
Youth race registration click here
Kids race registration click here
Ages: 6 years & over for race.
Bring completed waiver to registration the morning of the race.
Celebrate the 8thAnnual Whiskey Island Paddlefest! Grab your stand up paddleboard or kayak, and register for the 6-mile elite race (3 laps) (14 & over only), 2-mile challenge (1 lap) (12 & over only), youth (9-11 years only), a short kids’ course (6 – 8 years), or Capture the Swag Fun Paddle (about 1 mile) (12 & over only). The course is perfect for both beginners and advanced paddlers. Enjoy free stand up paddleboarding, kayaking, and sailing try-its; visit vendors; and celebrate all things paddlesports as you experience the Lake Erie Water Trail!
Race Distances and Categories
This race is intended for all skill levels, and while this event is competitive in nature, the focus is on a fun race experience. All pre-registered guests 12 years & over will receive a shirt. The top 3 finishers in each category will receive a medal. For the 2 mile & 6 mile races, there will be male and female categories for each. For the Youth, Kids, and 6-mile Tandem Kayak races, there will be one category.
SUP Race Categories
14’ & under (6 miles)
12’1-14' Race (2 miles)
12’ & under, any style (2 miles)
Youth 9-11 years - two short laps
Kids 6-8 years - one short lap
Kayak Race Categories
Surf Skis or Sea Kayaks 15' or more (6 miles only)
Kayaks less than 15’ (2 miles or 6 miles)
Tandem (6 miles only)
Kids 9-11 years -two short laps
Kids 6-8 years - one short lap
6-miles (3 laps): 14 years & over
2-miles (1 lap): 12 years & over
Youth Race: 9-11 years (2 short laps, about ½ mile)
Kids’ Race: 6-8 years (1 short lap, about ¼ mile)
Maximum race time is 2 hours. Any racers left on the course after 2 hours will be asked to return to the finish line.
Capture the Swag Fun Paddle
Not into competitive races? No problem. Join us for Capture the Swag Fun Paddle. Paddlers will choose their own adventure during this fun paddle that increases their chances of earning some sweet swag. How do you capture the swag? Simple. All Capture the Swag Fun Paddle participants will paddle to set destinations along the Lake Erie shoreline of Wendy Park and collect up to 4 additional tickets to enter into the door prize drawing. Paddlers can choose to collect 1 or all 4 additional tickets. You choose your adventure! All Capture the Swag Fun Paddle and Whiskey Island Paddlefest racers are automatically entered into the door prize drawing with 1 ticket. Capture the Swag Fun Paddle participants have the opportunity to increase their chances of winning more swag. You MUST be present to win swag. Drawing around 1:30 p.m. Door Prize Drawing Rules.
Expected Door Prizes:
- Dry Bag
- Throw Rope
- Bomber Sunglasses
- SUP Fin
- SUP Paddle Cover
- Insulated Tumblers
- Kayak Cart
- Water Bottle
- Zoo Passes
- Gift Certificates
- And More!!!
Race (12 and over)
• $35 (includes lunch & shirt while supplies last)
• Day of registration, $40
Youth Race (ages 9-11)
• Free (includes awards only)
Kids Race (6-8)
• Free (includes awards only)
Capture the Swag Fun Paddle (12 and over)
• $25 (includes lunch and shirt while supplies last)
• Day of registration, $30
Online registration closes at noon on August 10. To guarantee a shirt in your size, register before July 28. Day of registration available onsite.
Routes utilize a closed, buoyed course contained within the breakwall of the inner harbor.
Saturday, August 13
7:30 a.m. – 8:15 a.m. Racer Registration
8:15 a.m. 6-mile & 2-mile Race Announcements (All Racers)
8:40 a.m. Start: 6-Mile Race - Kayak
8:45 a.m. Start: 6-Mile Race - SUP
8:50 a.m. Start: 2-Mile Race - Kayak
8:55 a.m. Start: 2-Mile Race - SUP
9:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. Capture the Swag Fun Paddle Registration
10:45 a.m. Fun Paddle & Youth/Kids Race Announcements
11 a.m. – 1 p.m. Lunch Served & Beer Garden
11:05 a.m. Start: Youth/Kids Races – Kayak & SUP
11:20 a.m. Start: Capture the Swag Fun Paddle
11:45 a.m. Racer Award Ceremony
12:30 p.m. Capture the Swag Fun Paddle Ends
12 – 1:30 p.m. Free Try-It: Kayaking, Stand Up Paddleboarding & Sailing (First Come, First Served)
1:30 p.m. Door Prizes
Tentative – race starts are approximate – please be ready 10 minutes early – youth & kids’ races are tentative based on conditions.
Stand Up Paddleboards
- This event is on Lake Erie. Be prepared to paddle in wind and waves.
- All races will utilize a floating water start.
- All paddlers are required to wear a properly fitted U.S. Coast Guard approved lifejacket. Inflatables are acceptable.
- All paddlers must wear footwear when getting on and off their boards or kayaks.
- All stand up paddleboarders mush use a leash.
- All kayaks must be registered through ODNR.
A limited number of stand up paddleboards (includes paddle, lifejacket, and leash) can be reserved for $20/board by contacting Outdoor Recreation at 216-341-1704. Guests reserving boards MUST have prior SUP experience. Reservations are limited to the 2-mile race, Youth race, Kids’ race, and Capture the Swag Fun Paddle.
A limited supply of sit-on-top kayaks (including your paddle and lifejacket) can be reserved for $20/person. Tandem kayaks are $40 (2 people). Reserve your sit-on-top kayak online from Burning River Adventures
(Paddle the River, LLC.): 330-969-2628. Guests reserving kayaks MUST have prior kayak experience. Reservations are limited to the 2-mile race (single kayaks only), Youth race (single kayaks only), Kids race (single kayaks only) and Capture the Swag Fun Paddle (single or tandem kayaks).
Past Race Results
Try-It: Kayaking, Stand Up Paddleboarding & Sailing
- Available from 12 – 1:30 p.m. on a first come, first served basis.
- Try-Its are short experiences that allow guests to try kayaking, SUP, and sailing on Lake Erie.
- All participants MUST sign a waiver to participate in any of the Try-Its
- Staff will help guests properly fit a lifejacket, orient you to the craft, and provide guidance as needed.
Calling all paddling and outdoor recreation related clubs, non-profits, and businesses! Help us celebrate the Lake Erie Water Trail and paddling culture in Northeast Ohio by being an exhibitor at this year’s Whiskey Island Paddlefest! Complete the Exhibitor Form to join in the fun!
Exhibitors/Partners Planning to be at the Event:
- Cleveland Metroparks Outdoor Recreation
- Paddle the River
- Keep the Lakes Great
- Edgewater Surf
- Bomber Eyewear
- Lake Erie Kayak Fishing Guided Adventures
- ERG House Rowing Basics
- Cleveland Amateur Boat Building & Boating Society (CABBS)
- Cuyahoga Valley National Park
- United States Coast Guard
- Cleveland Museum of Natural History Trout Club
- Kayak Carts & Other Creations
Check out other Paddling Races in Northeast Ohio
By registering, you acknowledge that you have read and understand the cancellation policy
General Essential Eligibility Requirements that all participants must meet. A participant….
- …must meet minimum age and pre-trip meeting requirements for each individual program.
- …must meet program fee requirements for each individual program.
- …must be able to remain adequately hydrated, fed, and properly dressed in order to avoid environmental injuries such as hypothermia, heat-related illnesses, sunburn, and frostbite.
- …must refrain from use of alcohol and tobacco before or during outdoor recreation activities and any illegal drugs throughout the duration of a program.
- …must be able, either alone or with the aid of a personal care attendant, or through arrangements outlined on the Request for Administration of Medication Form or an Individual Medication Plan to manage, administer and protect any prescription medications currently prescribed to him or her. All medications, including over-the-counter medications shall be listed as required on the Medical Information portion of the registration materials.
- …must be able, either alone, with the aid of an augmentative communication device, or a personal care attendant to follow directions and communicate needs.
- …must not exceed manufacturers’ maximum recommended weight limit for equipment being used.
- …must be able to manage personal mobility either alone, with a reasonable amount of assistance, with the aid of a personal care attendant, or with adaptive equipment.
- …must be able, in the event of an unexpected capsize, to breathe independently and maintain a seal with their mouth (i.e. not require medical devices to sustain breathing), and independently demonstrate the ability to self-right him or herself from face down to face up position while wearing the appropriate PFD.
- …must be able to independently hold their head and neck upright (without restraints), in order to maintain proper body positioning, avoid an unexpected capsize, and freely exit watercraft.
- …must be able to reenter the watercraft in deep water independently or with a reasonable amount of assistance.
- …must be able to independently wear and maintain wearing all safety equipment correctly including but not limited to a United States Coast Guard approved lifejacket.
- …must be able to, for extended trips only, travel in a physically demanding, remote backcountry environment for the uninterrupted period of the trip length, which can range from one to ten days with varying temperatures and environmental conditions including but not limited to, rain snow, hail, sun, and wind. The remoteness is such that cell signal may be unavailable, and it may require at minimum an hour, but perhaps in excess of 2 days travel to reach the nearest road and advanced medical care; participant assumes all costs associated with rescue.
All boating programs are funded in part through a grant from the Ohio Department of Natural Resources, Division of Parks & Watercraft.