You're too young. No kids allowed. Don't touch. How many times have your young children heard these words? More than you can count? Luckily, there is a family-friendly event created just for kids ages 2 to 6. It's Cleveland Metroparks �Knee High Naturalist� event on Sunday, June 1, from 1 - 5 p.m. at South Chagrin Reservation Arboretum. This free event provides younger children with a variety of outdoor activities inspired by nature.
Cleveland Metroparks encourages families and their young children to come out and play in South Chagrin Reservation's 15-acre arboretum featuring a collection of native trees and shrubs. Kids can touch, climb, sing, jump, shout, laugh, run, dance, craft and get their hands a little dirty.
Spend the afternoon exploring, learning and most of all having fun with the following activities!
- Make a kite and fly it too.
- Have a ball playing in the Field of Balls with large yoga and exercise balls.
- Check out the live crayfish pool. Pick one up if you dare.
- Get a close-up view of live woodland critters - an owl, snake, turtle and toad.
- Make picnic inspired crafts - a �macaroni salad� necklace or a picnic sticker collage.
- Dress up in animal costumes and let your imagination run wild. Choose from a bee, ladybug, beaver, butterfly or dragonfly.
- Take a picture with the Hiking Chipmunk. BYOC - Bring your own camera.
- Discover the arboretum's hands-on Nature Play Area complete with corn cob pool, sand area, rock pile, tepees, canoes on land, and even a tree deck.
- Play the really big Habitat Game. Collect food, shelter, water and habitat as you make your away around the game board, YOU are the game piece.
- Dive into the Pond Discovery Tent featuring wildlife sights and sounds you'd find at any Ohio pond.
- Hike with Nora the Explorer at 1:30 p.m., 2:15 p.m., 3:15 p.m., and 4:00 p.m.
- Sing silly songs with Musical Mark.
- Concoct a tasty edible craft - trail mix in an ice cream cone.
- Take fun photos of your knee high naturalists with their heads peeking out from behind face cut-outs of a bee, bug, or flower.
- Light refreshments are available for purchase from local Girl Scouts.
Parking is available at the Shelterhouse Picnic Area, located off Hawthorn Parkway, east of SOM Center Road/Route 91 in Bentleyville - north of the Route 91 exit off Route 422. From the parking area, visitors can either ride a shuttle or follow the signs and walk to the entrance of the arboretum. This event is rain or shine except for severe weather.
And there's still time to register your kids ages 12 and younger for Cleveland Metroparks Adventure Club. Through a variety of Cleveland Metroparks and Cleveland Metroparks Zoo programs, children will develop a connection with nature, wildlife and the environment. For details on membership levels and benefits, visit clevelandmetroparks.com/adventureclub.
For a complete list of Cleveland Metroparks special events and programs, visit clevelandmetroparks.com or check the program listing in Cleveland Metroparks Emerald Necklace publication.
SUE ALLEN - 216-635-3338, firstname.lastname@example.org
HOLLY KECK - 216-635-3253, email@example.com