Camp: Emerald Necklace Camp
Program Type(s): Families
Registration for 2017 Emerald Necklace Camp is now open!
Emerald Necklace Camp will be back in 2017! Campers ages 11-14 will explore the Zoo and take field trips to other areas of Cleveland Metroparks to hike, kayak, learn the basics of golf, and more.
Campers will visit Cleveland Metroparks Zoo, Watershed Stewardship Center at West Creek Reservation, Rocky River Nature Center, Seneca Golf Course, and Hinckley Reservation. Locations are subject to change.
- Monday - Cleveland Metroparks Zoo: Campers will tour behind the scenes, meet animals up close, and tour animal exhibits.
- Tuesday - Garfield Park and Bedford Reservations: Spend a day of creek exploration and walking in the woods at Bedford and Garfield Reservations. Campers should bring a change of shoes and expect to get wet
- Wednesday - Seneca Golf Course: Campers will learn about golf etiquette and the basics of play while exploring the course
- Thursday - North Chagrin Reservation: Campers will discover the many adaptations owls have that allow them to be silent predators of the night. They will then take time to explore the forest habitat that owls call home. Campers should have shoes that are good for hiking
- Friday - Hinckley Reservation: Campers will spend the day kayaking and fishing on Hinckley Lake. Instruction and equipment will be provided for both activities.
- Click the 'Register' button in the upper right hand corner of this page to begin online registration
- Administer Meds Form and Release/Waiver Form – If registering online, a signed copy of these forms MUST accompany your camper on their first day of camp
ATTN: Education Registration Office
3900 Wildlife Way
Cleveland, OH 44109
For more information, contact the Education Registration Staff at (216) 635-3391 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Session 1: June 26-30, 2017
- Session 2: July 24-28, 2017
- Members: $240 per session
- Non-Member: $265 per session
What should I do if my camper is running late?
Up until 9:00 am, drop off takes place in the Rhino Lot of Cleveland Metroparks Zoo. Due to the traveling nature of this camp, if you are running late, please call the camp office (216-635-3391) immediately to determine where you should drop off your camper.
Will my camper have an opportunity to help an animal keeper?
For the safety of all, direct contact with exhibit animals is not possible. Please refer to the Activities section of the Parents’ Guide for additional information.
Can I come into camp with my camper on Monday morning?
Yes, you are welcome to accompany your camper into the Zoo. During drop-off and pick-up, we ask that you park your car in the Rhino Lot and escort your camper to the registration tables. Here you will be able to meet your camper’s camp counselor and ask any questions that you might have.
What is your refund policy?
No refunds will be issued for no-shows or after the start day of the session for which you are registered. Please refer to the Registration/Admissions Policy section of the Parents’ Guide for additional information.
Does my camper need to bring a lunch?
Campers are responsible for bringing their own lunch and beverage. As campers will be traveling throughout the Metroparks, staff will not be able to provide campers with a replacement lunch should they forget their own. Please refer to the Lunch Guidelines section of the Parents’ Guide for additional information.
Where do I find my Camp ID Number?
Your Camp ID Number is located on your confirmation page. You must have the Camp ID Number for any camper that you are picking up.
After registration, what information will I receive?
Your registration confirmation page will automatically be e-mailed to you. Please be sure to retain this page as it contains your Camp ID Number. If registering using a paper form, your confirmation page will be mailed to you.
My camper has special needs and has difficulty functioning at grade level. How should I register my camper for camp?
If you have a concern about your camper’s needs, please call the camp office (216-635-3391) prior to registration.
Can I send sunscreen and/or insect repellent with my camper to camp?
My camper will require medication during the day. Can the camp staff administer this medication on my behalf?
Yes. If you would like for camp staff to apply sunscreen and/or insect repellent or administer medication, you must complete the Request for Administration Form. Please refer to the Participant Health Records section of the Parents’ Guide.
What should I do if my camper will be absent?
If your camper will be absent, contact the camp office (216-635-3391).
My camper has a doctor’s appointment and needs to leave early. Is this possible?
If your camper will need to leave early, please contact the camp office (216-635-3391). You may need to pick your camper up at their current location within the Metroparks.
Are there discounts available for registering multiple camper or registering for multiple sessions?
The only discount available is for Cleveland Zoological Society Members and Paid Cleveland Metroparks Adventure Club Members. Please refer to the Parents’ Guide for Summer Day Camp rates.
Can my camper bring a backpack, additional clothes, water bottle, or camera to camp?
Your camper will be responsible for carrying all items. Please refer to the Do’s and Don’ts section of the Parents’ Guide.
Is it possible for someone else to pick up my camper from camp?
For camper participating in car pools, the vehicle that picks up the camper must have the Camp ID Numbers for each camper to be picked up, or the camper will not be released. This is done to ensure the safety of your camper.
How do you select your camp counselors?
In addition to being the best of the applicant pool, camp counselors are subject to criminal background checks and drug screening. They are also required to submit three letters of recommendation. All camp groups consist of both Senior Counselors (ages 18 and above) and Junior Counselors (ages 16-18).