About Lakefront Reservation
On June 6, 2013 Cleveland Metroparks assumed management of certain Lakefront State properties which include Edgewater Park, E. 55 Street Marina, Gordon Park, Euclid Beach Park, Villa Angela and Wildwood Park. In December 2014, Whiskey Island was added to the park system. While the City of Cleveland will continue to own the properties, Cleveland Metroparks holds a 99 year lease to manage and enhance the parks, with a commitment to outstanding stewardship.
Euclid Beach Park, Villa Angela Park and Wildwood Park join Euclid Creek Reservation, while Edgewater Park, E. 55th Street Marina, Whiskey Island and Gordon Park comprise Cleveland Metroparks newest reservation, Lakefront Reservation.
The 17-mile Cleveland Lakefront Bike Trail traces the Lake Erie shoreline providing access to Edgewater Park, Whiskey Island, E. 55th Street Marina, Gordon Park, Euclid Beach Park, Villa Angela Park and Wildwood Park.
E. 55th Street Marina
Anglers and boaters can take advantage of the 1,200-foot fishing platform, eight transient docks and concession facility at the E. 55thSt. Marina.
Edgewater Park with its 6,000 feet of shoreline features two beaches, a playground, reservable pavilions and one of the best views of downtown Cleveland. A nearby fishing pier provides anglers access to Lake Erie while the boat ramps offer one of the few public boating access points on the west side of the city. Edgewater Beach, a 900-foot swimming beach is open with lifeguards daily from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. through mid-August.
Euclid Beach Park
Euclid Creek Reservation expanded in June 2013 to include the northern portion of the reservation consisting of Euclid Beach Park, Villa Angela Park and Wildwood Park runs along the Lake Erie shoreline.
Once the site of the famous Euclid Beach Amusement Park, Euclid Beach Park now features a 650’ beach with shaded picnic areas, a scenic observation pier and a reservable pavilion. Though it closed in 1969, signs of the amusement park including the shuffleboard area, remnants of the beachside fountain and concrete footers of the Flying Turns roller coaster are still visible.
Adjacent to Euclid Beach Park is Villa Angela Park and Wildwood Park. Scenic overlooks and a wide variety of plant species can be seen along Villa Angela Park’s scenic boardwalk that leads out to a fishing pier and the 900’ sandy beach.
An angler’s paradise, Wildwood Park has a boat launch providing access to Lake Erie, access to the summer Lake Erie walleye fishery, access to Euclid Creek for spring coho salmon and two lengthy rock breakwalls to accommodate shore anglers.
Gordon Park was donated to the City of Cleveland by William J. Gordon in 1893 who stipulated the park always be open to the public and remain Gordon Park. Part of an Audubon Important Birding Area, Gordon Park provides the best viewing for a large number of diverse and rare gulls and ducks. The 1.3 miles of armored coastline and onshore fishing platforms provide excellent fishing opportunities and is known for winter catches of steelhead and salmon.
In December 2014, Cleveland Metroparks Lakefront Reservation expanded 64.5 acres with the addition of Whiskey Island. Whiskey Island includes a marina and Wendy Park, which provides the public direct access to Lake Erie and the Cuyahoga River. Park visitors can enjoy views of the downtown city skyline, walk along the beach, or play sand volleyball. Whiskey Island, originally named for the distillery that was built on the land in the 1800’s is located where the Cuyahoga River empties into Lake Erie. The “island” is a peninsula of land that was created in 1827 when the mouth of the Cuyahoga River was moved to its present location.