Where Great Players Get
The first Cleveland Metroparks golf course, Little Met
(originally named Course #2), was built as a temporary golf course in 1924. Its
purpose was to stimulate interest as well as to satisfy the desire of anxious
golfers prior to the opening of Big Met Golf Course. Seven years later, the
demand for golf continued and the Cleveland Metropolitan Park Board decided to
operating the course.
Originally, the fairways of Little Met were merely old meadows. Putting
greens were constructed by smoothing the land and sowing grass
seed. Today, it's still evident that some of the tees and greens are level
with the surrounding terrain. In 1982, six tees were raised and a watering
system was installed. The architect for Little Met was most likely Stanley
Thompson, who designed a total of 27 holes in Rocky River Reservation.
Little Met was also the first golf course (and probably one of the last) in
the region to offer an alternative to golf in the winter - archery golf. This
form of archery became very popular, and ironically this led to its demise
because people were being injured by the flying "arrows."
In 1930, the rate for 9 holes of golf was 25¢! Although the rate is no longer
25¢, 9 holes at Little Met Golf Course is still one of the best golf values.
Features: Pro shop, snack bar, power and hand cart rental, practice
putting greens, watered greens, tees and fairways.